Re: RED not BLACK, not Brown, was Re: Tichy NC&StL Flat Car

Bruce Smith

On Nov 12, 2006, at 11:04 PM, Rob Adams wrote:

John;

Paul is correct about the discussion in the archives, but they were
painted black, not freight car red/brown.

Kind regards, Rob Adams
Rob,

Au contraire! Garrett Rea tried to clear up this mess back on October 24, 2005 on this list with the following statement:
"I spoke with Steve Johnson at length about these and other cars this
past April before James Bilbrey and I put together our NC&StL freight
car modelling clinc and thick booklet this past May. Steve's
comments than and again this weekend along with builder and in-
service photo review still steer us to oxide red for the cars."

The RPI site notes the controversy and attributes boxcar red to Richard Hendrickson and black to the same Steve Johnson, but based on this discussion last year (which I precipitated), my Tichy NC&StL flat is oxide red. Now to swap out those ECW Dalman trucks for the Tahoe ones!

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

"Some days you are the bug, some days you are the
windshield."
__
/ \