From: "Rob Adams" <steamera@netins.net>
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 10:03 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] RED not BLACK, not Brown, was Re: Tichy NC&StL Flat Car

Bruce;

Mea culpa! Before responding last night, I searched my STMFC archive,
quickly saw Mont Switzer's message that started out "don't make the same
mistake I did", and went on to confirm that they should be black (which
incidentally, also validated what I'd been told several years ago in a
message forwarded to me by Jim Six, originating from a supposed expert
on the NC&StL). I failed to dig further into the STMFC thread, and
apologize for further confusing the issue.

This lingering confusion must serendipitously account for why my long
built-up Tichy flat remains unpainted. (and may well remain so for a
while)

Kind regards,

Rob Adams (now waiting for that COLOR builders photo of a the 1923 or
1926-built NC&StL flat) ;-)

Bruce Smith wrote:

On Nov 12, 2006, at 11:04 PM, Rob Adams wrote:

John;

Paul is correct about the discussion in the archives, but they were
painted black, not freight car red/brown.

Kind regards, Rob Adams
Rob,

Au contraire! Garrett Rea tried to clear up this mess back on
October 24, 2005 on this list with the following statement:
"I spoke with Steve Johnson at length about these and other cars this
past April before James Bilbrey and I put together our NC&StL freight
car modelling clinc and thick booklet this past May. Steve's
comments than and again this weekend along with builder and in-
service photo review still steer us to oxide red for the cars."

The RPI site notes the controversy and attributes boxcar red to
Richard Hendrickson and black to the same Steve Johnson, but based on
this discussion last year (which I precipitated), my Tichy NC&StL
flat is oxide red. Now to swap out those ECW Dalman trucks for the
Tahoe ones!

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/
<http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/%7Esmithbf/>

"Some days you are the bug, some days you are the
windshield."
__
/ &#92;

--