Re: RED not BLACK, not Brown, was Re: Tichy NC&StL Flat Car

Rob Adams

Hi John;

According to the message I have from a Mr. A.L. O'Toole via Jim Six in Feb of 2000, the May, 1923-built NC&StL 70100-70199 series cars had early U-section cast steel trucks (Maybe use the Accurail 'Bettendorf" truck??) and KD brakes. Apparently the builder's photo of NC&StL 70138 is on page 5 of the June 1993 issue of RMJ (I don't seem to have this one so can't verify).

The same correspondence reports that the 1926-built 70200-70299 series cars had Dalman 2-level trucks and KD brakes.

Of course, Mr. O'Toole reported the cars to be painted that other color. Not freight car red. ;-)

We missed you at Naperville.

Best regards, Rob

golden1014 wrote:

Bruce, Rob and All,

Thanks much for the help. I do admit to not searching the archives
before I asked the question, so if I see you guys at Cocoa I'll be
buying. My two old cars are almost ready for paint and I'll search
for a nice dull shade of oxide to finish them off.

I don't recall noticing that the cars had Dalman trucks--I'll have
to go check my CBC photo of the car.

Again, thanks for the assist.

John

John Golden
O'Fallon, IL

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

On Nov 12, 2006, at 11:04 PM, Rob Adams wrote:

John;

Paul is correct about the discussion in the archives, but they
were
painted black, not freight car red/brown.

Kind regards, Rob Adams
Rob,

Au contraire! Garrett Rea tried to clear up this mess back on
October 24, 2005 on this list with the following statement:
"I spoke with Steve Johnson at length about these and other cars
this
past April before James Bilbrey and I put together our NC&StL
freight
car modelling clinc and thick booklet this past May. Steve's
comments than and again this weekend along with builder and in-
service photo review still steer us to oxide red for the cars."

The RPI site notes the controversy and attributes boxcar red to
Richard Hendrickson and black to the same Steve Johnson, but based
on
this discussion last year (which I precipitated), my Tichy NC&StL
flat is oxide red. Now to swap out those ECW Dalman trucks for
the
Tahoe ones!

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/
<http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/%7Esmithbf/>

"Some days you are the bug, some days you are the
windshield."
__
/ &#92;
__ |