Re: Automobile Car Usage in 1947 or so?

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

Those cars were loaded by the auto mfr's without regard to ownership. The likelihood of any ownership being used from a plant for a particular load that terminates on a short line is in proportion to the total proportion of the traffic from that plant carried over that railroad. For autos from CA plants, the ownership would be heavily biased toward the western roads.

That's kind of a long winded way of saying that if you are terminating auto cars, almost any large railroad marks that suits you would be prototypical.

One of the nice things about a list like this is that it gives me some ideas for traffic that could be realistically handled on my (future) Unita Railroad which serves northeastern Utah, connecting with UP at Green River and DRGW at Price. I'm going to have a few carloads of autos arriving each week. Now I can use my Erie double door box car.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478