Re: Monon Covered Hopper

Mont Switzer <mhts_switzerm@...>

Dan,

The short answeer is no. The Monon didn't begin loading grain in covered hoppers until the late 1960's and then only on a limited basis. Instead the railroad operated a number of boxcars with roof hatches.

Your Athearn car respresents the Monon's first group of 3 bay covered hoppers. They were built in 12-53 by Pullman Standard and numbered C.I.L. 4401-4430.

In 1953 three bay covered hoppers were pretty spcialized cars and the railroad would only have purchased them if had a pre-determined purpose which was the case. All 30 cars were equipped with vibrators to handle flour with cars 4401 - 4415 being assigned to General Mills.

The flour business ultimately ended up on airslide cars and the 3 bay covered hoppers were placed in sand service assinged to Sand Brokers at Michigan City, IN.

Due to the nature of the products that these cars handled I suspect they did not travel far from their midwest ownership and they could always seen on line.

An interesting side note concerns the sand cars that moved between Michigan City, IN and Indianapolis, IN. As I attempted to dupicate Monon operatons and schedules in HO scale I learned that train scheduling between Michigan City branch and Indianapolis branch had the railroad moving sand cars between the two points via Monon, IN overnight. This is a good example of how model operations can assist us in learning how the prototype operated.

Mont Switzer

"D. Port Jr." <hudson464@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have a Athearn PS 2893 Covered Hopper lettered for the Monon.

Did the Monon use them for grain loading?

Thank You.

Dan Port Jr.