Re: What defines an AAR boxcar?

Ted Culotta <tculotta@...>

I will interject my two cents that an AAR (and 1932 ARA) box car has almost nothing to do with dimensions and everything to do with design traits. I likely could not cite all of things here, but many of them have to do with such things as the zee bar center sill sections welded along an adjacent edge, the side sills comprised of two components (an angled section on top with a lower section below it comprised of either non-continuous "tabbed" sections or a full length channel), the height of the center sill, along with many other subtle things. I will take this opportunity to say that these characteristics are covered in the 1932 ARA box car book in both the early chapters as well as the appendices.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
645 Tanner Marsh Road, Guilford, CT 06437
info@speedwitch.com
www.speedwitch.com
(650) 787-1912