Re: Were all Dreadnaught ends made by Standard Railway Equipment?

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Tony Thompson <thompsonmarytony@...>
The term "Dreadnaught" appears to have only been used by SRECo,
though I haven't noticed a mark indicating it was registered as a
trademark. But others made the same design. All the early SP 1937 AAR
cars had "dreadnaught-type" ends made by Union Metal Products.Whethr
there was a license for the design, from SRECo, I don't know.

Anthony Thompson
Dept. of Materials Science & Engineering
University of California, Berkeley
thompsonmarytony@...

Tony,

I've never made a major study of the origin of this end design, But I
believe it predates the SREC ownership. Like so many other proprietary
items in the SREC line, it appears it was developed elsewhere, and
purchased and marketed by SREC.

For evidence I present everal photos in the 1931 Car Builders Cyc,
which show the early dreadnaught end, and are captioned ,"Dreadnaught
two piece steel end for box cars. Union Metal Products Co." Standard
Railway Equipment Co. was showing roofs in this edition of the Cyc,
but not ends.

Interestingly, this is the "innie" end, which modelers have been
calling a "reverse Dreadnaught", to differentiate it from the later
ends where the pressings faced outward. Problem is, if this is the
original design, then this should be THE Dreadnaught end, and all the
other "outie" ends should be reverse Dreadnaught. Which just points up
the problem with using names devised by modelers; eventually it comes
to light that the assumptions were wrong, and we are stuck with names
that don't accurately describe the hardware, and are confusing as well.

Dennis