Re: box car shortage rules

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

Posted by: "Kurt Laughlin" There is a similar principle with airlines called cabotage which holds that
a foreign airline cannot transport passengers between two US locations -
they can only take people into or out of the country.

The railroad situation isn't really like cabotage. Cars between points in New England and the midwest could move freely over Canadian routes, and cars between NB and Montreal could move through the U.S. Another reason that cabotage doesn't apply is that there were no Canadian railroads between points in the U.S. or U.S. railroads between points in Canada. For example, the CP line across Maine was actually a U.S. corporation with its stock owned entirely by the Canadian company. Anyone know of any exceptions to this. GN to Vancouver ?

The specific rule on Canadian cars was that if not returned empty they had to be loaded to or via Canada. Someone may want to check me on this, but I believe that a shipment between Chicago and Portland routed GTW/CN/GT could be loaded in a Canadian car.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478