Re: common cars with planked roofs

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

----- Original Message -----
From: Anthony Thompson

Kurt Laughlin wrote:
So early cars didn't have roofwalks at all, the brakemen just walked
on the roof (or what appeared to be the roof)?
No. There are 1867 Central Pacific photos which clearly show
running boards, and the roofs appear to be OUTSIDE metal roofs. One of
these photos is in my SP Freight Cars, Vol. 4. The great majority of
cars in subsequent years DID have running boards to provide a level
walking surface.