Re: J&L tank cars.

cj riley <cjriley42@...>

The uses for coal tar aretruly vast. Waterproofing products of all kinds, wood
preservatives, medications, and more. I found one current company that was
importing coal tar in the millions of gallons.
I have always been facinated by industrial processes, in addition to railroads.

CJ

--- cshope@... wrote:

Gentlemen

I do believe there was once large scale use of Coal Tar Pitch as built-up
roofing bitumen. Both heated Coal Tar Pitch and/or Asphalt are used as the
hot black bitumen that is mopped with roofing felts to form a "low slope
built-up roof" (however they are never to be mixed on the same roof
application). I am just hazarding a guess, but the coal tar could be out
bound loads going to a roofing system manufacturer such as Koppers,
Johns-Manville or others. Roofing is certainly not as noble as chemical
feed stock for drugs and such, but there is certainly a whole neck of lot of
roofs out there that had coal tar pitch built-up roofs on them from the
1890's to the present.

Charles D. Shope
cshope@archplus. <mailto:cshope%40archplus.com> com
aka Bleu Bayou Eagle
Modeling North Little Rock - October, 1953

_____