Re: Freight train speed on grades - early diesel era

Ned Carey <nedspam@...>

versus steam which acheived its greatest efficiency the faster it ran,
ideally at its balancing speed (function of driver size, stroke, cut-off and
counter-balancing).

Mike,

Can you explain in layman's terms what you mean by "balancing speed"?

If the track speed was 10, then that's all they did.
What do you mean by track speed? Do you mean the railroads speed restriction for that area? That seems slow to me if it is not a yard or station or something like that. It seems odd to me that the railroad would artificially limit speed that low on a grade.

Ned Carey