Re: Tichy Kit

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Bill McCoy asked:
"Is there a resource that lists who had these cars as Tichy modeled
them?"

Rob Adams replied:
"As for potential candiates for the Tichy #4026 USRA SS box, see the
July 2004 issue of RMC for more information about the original USRA
single sheathed cars. Significant numbers were rostered by the PRR,
CMStP&P and C&NW. Other roads which owned the USRA single-sheathed
cars included the AA, B&O, C&O, CNJ, Clinchfield, D&H, Erie, Maine
Central, MC, NYC, N&W, PMcK&Y, RF&P, SP, and WM. I've probably
missed some."

The railroads allocated the USRA Specification 1001-B 50-ton SS
boxcars were AA, AB&A (later ACL), B&O, CC&O (Clinchfield), CNJ, C&O,
C&NW, CMStP&P, D&H, Erie, GA, MEC, MC, NYC, N&W, PRR (NYP&N, LIRR,
GR&I, Lines West), P&R (later RDG), PMcK&Y, RF&P (Washington
Southern), WM. The basic reference for this and all other USRA
freight cars is James E. Lane's "USRA Freight Cars: An Experiment in
Standardzation" in The Railway & Locomotive Historical Society
Railroad History No. 128, Spring 1973. This article has very few
photos, but tells the story behind these cars, and includes
comprehensive tables showing not only the final allocations of these
cars, but the original allocations as well. This publication is long
out of print, but is fairly common on the secondary market.

Westerfield's online catalog also lists the variations of these cars:
http://www.westerfield.biz/cg270001.htm

Ben Hom