From: @smithbf
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 5:59 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Ancient photos in color

rfederle@... wrote:

I agree. When modelling we look to the photo for reference and expect
that to be the true image. If colorized it could alte the way a person
views that image and maybe be misled in to thinking something is a
particular color when is it not. I think if the photo was black and white
it should be black and white.
On Tue, January 16, 2007 4:34 pm, Spen Kellogg replied:
With apologies to Roger Federle for subverting the meaning of his
e-mail, I'm waiting for someone to suggest that those of us who model
railroads before the days of color film should model in black and white
and shades of gray.
Spen,

Its been done. I don't remeber the modeler's name, but he is an LDSIG
member, models circa WWII and his entire color scheme is greytones. In
reality, this is a HUGE challenge to get right! While I have only seen
photos, the layout is apparently very dramatic, which makes sense, as
IIRC, the builder is a theatrical designer.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL