Re: How is the AB brake cylinder mounted on the PRR G-22 gondola?

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 1, 2007, at 2:26 PM, proto48er wrote:

I have usually seen the brake cylinder, either for an AB or a K brake,
mounted on the side of the centersill of a steam era freight car. The
cars in question are the prototype PRR G-22 gondolas. Kohs & Company,
Inc. is importing an excellent model of the G-22b container car in "O"
scale, and has some pre-production model photos at www.kohs.com. These
models have the brake cylinder mounted to the steel floor of the car -
can this be correct? I have been under 200+ freight cars measuring
them, and I have NEVER seen a brake cylinder bounted to the floor of
the car! Thanks for your response. A.T. Kott
That's gotta be wrong. Not even the non-standard railroad of the world would mount a cylinder on a sheet steel floor, where the repeated heavy thrust of the piston being actuated by brake applications would soon compromise the mounting and/or distort the floor. Brake cylinders were always bolted to substantial mountings fastened to the center sills or draft sills. The only exceptions I can think of were the UTL Van Dyke frameless tank cars, where the cylinder mountings were riveted to the very thick tank bottom sheets.

Richard Hendrickson