Re: Magazine contents...

rfederle@...

There has been a significant shift over the years BUT I saw in the last year or two a couple articles in either MR or RMC on handlaying turnouts.

I just looked through the MR index of articles and only found two prototype drawings listed for 2006.

I think the ranks of the scratch and kit (wood) builders are dwindling and I see the mags are moving away from that. I myself have kits that I purchased about 10 years ago and have not touched them. The ready to run market seems to have taken over. The earlier era modeler has to dig more than ever now to find material to work from.

Another group group I belong to was discussing archives and how to distribute and preserve the material they have. The problem encountered many times is the archivists not wanting to run material though todays machines to transfer images for fear of destroying what they have. But thats another issue.

Back to steam era modeling.

Robert Federle
---- Jack Burgess <jack@...> wrote:

Before Mike cuts off this discussion because it isn't related enough to
freight cars....

I've noticed a real change in all of the magazines....I subscribe to MR,
RMC, RMJ, the Gazette, Finescale Modeler, Trains, and Classic Trains. I read
the Gazette as soon as it arrives since, although much of the modeling is
freelance and cute stuff (influenced obviously by editor Bob Brown), the
modeling and photography are always top-notch. Likewise for Finescale
Modeler....very nice modeling. I love the spreads showing one modelers
efforts, an idea I've pitched to MR to no avail (even though Terry was once
the editor of Finescale Modeler.)

As for the other model railroading magazines, have you noticed the change
over the past decade? No more articles on electronic circuits and devices,
fewer (no?) scale drawings of any type, fewer articles on scratchbuilding,
fewer articles on freight cars except for RMJ and Ted's articles, no
articles on hand-laying track, few comprehensive articles on industries, and
no articles on new jigs or tools (I remember when Finelines had article by
Gene Deimling on making a riveter out of a sewing machine and another on
Cerro Bend casting). While MR tends to have articles every year on basic
things such as using prefab track, when was the last time you saw an article
on resin castings....how about an article on making masters for freight car
sides?

While I appreciate all of the new freight cars, both plastic and resin, all
of these "riches" (as I mentioned before) may have reduced our hobby to a
"ready to run" hobby. After all, there is very little that you can't now
purchase ready to run....engines, DCC systems, freight cars, structures,
track, etc. It seems that MR especially has embraced this idea....

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com