The DS/SS split - Some data

laramielarry <ostresh@...>

Hi Folks

Here are the distributions of double sheathed, single sheathed and
steel box and auto cars for several RRs as of July, 1950. I'll post
more later.

ATSF . . Percent . .Number
DS . . . . 1.2%. . . . 405
SS . . . .21.6%. . . 7,549
Steel. . .67.1%. . .23,412
"Panel". . 7.9%. . . 2,755
Known. . 97.9%. . . 34,121
Unknown. . 2.1%. . . . 748
Total. . 100.0%. . .34,869
With nearly 98% of the fleet tallied, steel is about 2/3 of the Santa
Fe fleet; DS is miniscule and is almost entirely 36' cars - unless
one chooses to count the "panel" cars as DS, which the ORER does.

MILW . . Percent . .Number
DS . . . . 0.1%. . . . .28
SS . . . .53.9%. . .17,226
Steel. . .45.3%. . .14,493
Known. . 99.3%. . . 31,747
Unknown. . 0.7%. . . . 224
Total. . 100.0%. . .31,971
Over 99% of the Milwaukee fleet is categorized, and single sheathed
cars have a bit of an edge over steel; DS is negligible.

N&W . . Percent . .Number
DS . . . . 1.1%. . . .101
SS . . . .10.5%. . . .943
Steel. . .88.3%. . .7,900
Known. . 100.0%. . .8,944
All the box and auto cars on the Norfolk and Western are classified;
steel dominates (all that coal goes to produce something!).

RI . . Percent . . Number
DS . . . . 6.4%. . .1,153
SS . . . .43.9%. . .7,914
Steel. . .47.5%. . .8,560
Known. . 97.8%. . .17,627
Unknown. . 2.2%. . . .397
Total. . 0.0%. . . 18,024
Nearly 98% of the Rock Island cars are tallied; SS is close to steel,
but even if all the "Unknowns" go its way, it won't win the race.

Soo . . Percent . .Number
DS . . . . 3.7%. . . .344
SS . . . .60.6%. . .5,630
Steel. . .28.3%. . .2,626
Known. . 92.5%. . . 8,600
Unknown. . 7.5%. . . .694
Total. . 100.0%. . .9,294
SS wins big on the Soo, however, regardless of how the "Unknowns"
fall. This would be a great line to model if you want to escape the
blandness of the flat-sides.

I post these results with some trepidation, as is possible - maybe
even likely - that I made some major errors in classification. If
so, please know that I WOULD like to be informed of the problems, so
that I can correct them.

Best wishes,
Larry Ostresh
Laramie, Wyoming