Re: Suitable kits for SP B-50-38 or B-50-41?

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

----- Original Message -----

Kurt Laughlin wrote:
Actually there are a number that would work (A-50-12, -14, -15, -17,
-18;
B-50-22, -30, -36, -38, -41, -51, -53; and these unknown types:
219206-219805, 606000-606003, 620085-620100) as they are all 50-6 x
9-4 x
10-6, the most common size of 50-footers on the SP at the time. The
and -41 were the most common of the common though.
Um, Kurt, there were roof and end differences. It ain't all about
interior dimensions, you know. And to go further, the B-50-41, -51 and
-53 were plug + corrugated door cars. These are hardly interchangeable
with the regular 50-foot double doors. Modeling the -38 vs. the -41
would require a bunch of different modifications.
If you look in the box car book, you can see all these details,
as well as the fact that the car numbers listed can be defined
(B-50-40: 219206-219805; the 620,000-series were various XAP cars
equipped for auto engines, etc.). Not sure why you left out B-50-35,
but certainly the -38 cars were the most common of the ones listed.
----- Original Message -----

Hi Tony:

Yeah, I assumed that these cars were all different in some way, else there wouldn't be much use in distinct designations, eh?

For my layout's non-PRR, non-P&LE cars I realized I'm not going to buy the Morning Sun color guides, class diagram books, or even ID every boxcar type of every road that might be seen on the Marginal Branch - I don't have the money or the interest, to be frank. Instead, I determined which roads had the most boxcars and proportioned my XM/XML/XME fleet accordingly. (As it turns out I need one SP 40-footer and one SP 50-footer.) I then looked at the ORER recapitulation tables and saw which inside lengths were most common (50-6 in this case), then found which basic dimensions with that length were most common (50-6 x 9-4 x 10-6), and decided to get a car of that inside size. Sure, it ain't all about the inside, but it's _reasonable_ for my purposes.

I figured the size of car was as good a basis on which to select "the most likely seen car" as the types or classes or whatever. It had an added advantage in that it gave me a range of possible cars to find models for, rather than being stuck looking for an OOP resin or brass item. So, as far as I'm concerned, if I want to represent a 50-foot SP car in Beaver Falls, PA, a de-racked A-50-17 is as good as a B-50-36 is as good as a B-50-41. Granted, one of the two A-50-12 XMs with combo doors and increased inside dimensions would not really be "representative", but I allow myself some input in the decision so as to eliminate outliers. My method seems to catch the "highly probable" cars of most roads, if not the "most probable".

In my period the four 600000 cars I listed were limited to sulphur loads (and really not under consideration) while the four 620000 XMs were swimming in a sea of XAPs.

The B-50-35, 210556-211305, cars were listed as 50-6 x 9-4 x 10-5 in my book, so they didn't make the cut. I realize that from the outside these might not be distinguishable from others I chose, but my alternative was to learn the history of every SP XM and group things based on factors probably just as subjective. I just wasn't willing to spend the effort to do that, choosing instead to pick a plausible subject and improve the quality of that model, whatever it is.

Thanks,
KL

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.