Re: The DS/SS split - More results

Dennis Storzek

--- In STMFC@..., "laramielarry" <ostresh@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@>
wrote:

On Feb 7, 2007, at 10:48 AM, laramielarry wrote:
No. Earlier ORERs show 1,000 cars in the 108000-108999 series.
Many
RRs, when only a few cars were left in a number series, showed only
the
lowest and highest numbers of the cars remaining, and that's
obviously
what happened in this case.

Richard Hendrickson
Thanks Richard

A follow up question, suggested by your answer: Does the span of the
series constitute a lower bound on the number of cars? For example,
could we have implied that at one time there were at LEAST 527 cars
in the series? (Or perhaps half that number, since it was common to
assign only even numbers to cars.)

Larry Ostresh
Yes. I was going to answer with the full series information, but Dr.
Hendrickson beat me to it, including to comment that this was an even
number only series. Since it was even numbers only, I'm sure it was
108000-109998, 1000 cars.

Keep in mid that wood cars were quite a bit smaller than the the fifty
ton capacity steel cars we are familiar with at the end of the steam
era. A 36' 30 ton wood car could only hold 60% of what those later
cars held, and so it took almost twice as many cars to move the same
traffic.

Wood cars also didn't last all that long, and had a high attrition
rate. An ORER from 1929, when these cars were only twenty years old,
lists 745 cars in series 108000-109994, the two highest number cars
are gone, along with 25% of the series. A Soo Line company roster from
1931 lists 659 cars remaining at that time, so almost one hundred cars
were retired in the intervening two years.

Dennis