Re: Red Caboose X29 patch panels

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bruce Smith wrote:
The RC patch panels are absolutely prototypical. Long and intense study of the X29 patch panels indicates that it depends on when the panels were applied and by whom. Early on, you tend to see individual patches such as those you describe and as pictured in Richard's photo. However, when it became obvious that ALL of the panels would eventually need to be patched, the patches were made up of a single piece that stretched from the end to the door and there is plenty of photographic evidence for this as well. Indeed, there is also evidence of panels that were intermediate in size, covering more than one panel, but not the whole side.
Well summarized, Bruce. This was my conclusion from studying photos when I put together my Pennsy freight car modeling clinic.

Publishers of books on railroad history