Re: Fw: [STMFPH] old metal low side gon

Garth G. Groff <ggg9y@...>

Mike,

As others have stated, this is likely a Roundhouse car. Except for cast-on grabs, a slight clunkiness, and sometimes a poor fit of parts, it was one of the better kits in the 1950s. I have one I lettered with decals for Southern (also junk box salvage). Unfortunately, IIRC it has the wrong number of ribs for Southern. Photos of the Southern cars are found in the CBCs and Gregg Reprints, so you can probably check this.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

Mike Brock wrote:

Don Worthy sent the following message to the STMFPH by mistake. :

Hey guys, I've found in a junk box a metal low side gon. I don't remember where I got it. I beadblasted it and got several layers of paint off. It looks to be a very nice car. It looks to have been a (screw together)kit.
The only thing I've found on the bottom is: FG 101. It is possible that the G is a S...but I don't think so.

It has 10 panel sides and 2 ribbed ends. It measures 41'6" striker face to striker face.
The sides are 2'5 or 6" from floor to top of sides.
Would anyone have an idea who the maker is?
Or how old it maybe?
I'm hoping it will be close enough to be a Southern low-side gon. I've got to get a look at the two resin kits out now.

Thanks for any help
Don Worthy
Ivey, Ga.