Re: ACL/SAL Covered Hoppers on Wabash

al_brown03

Only the shorter of my two replies came through, so let me summarize
both.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "allen rueter" <allen_282@...> wrote:

I got a yard log for Martinsburg, MO 1958, (Wabash)

Digging thru the archives I see a fair amount of fertilizer came
from Florida.

Any one have an idea as to what make of LO (I assume) these are?
I'm really more interested what would be appropriate for 1950.
With one possible exception, all cars listed are two-bay
covered "cement hoppers", not phosphate cars. See Goolsby, Lines
South 4th/98, pp 18-23.

ACL series pre-1960 were:

85000-85014 (L-1), P-S '41.
85015-85074 (L-3), ACF '49.
85100-85699 (L-4), P-S '50-51.
86100-86699 (L-5), P-S '53.
86700-87299 (L-5), ACF '53-54.
87300-88099 (L-5), ACF '57.

SAL series pre-1960 were:
8000-8049 (C1), P-S '40.
8050-8099 (C1), Greenville '42.
8100-8249 (C1), Bethlehem '47.
8250-8449 (C3), Greenville '49.
8450-8649, P-S '51.
7600-7999, P-S '52-53.
7200-7599, ACF '54.
8650-8849, ACF '56.
30000-30549, ACF '57.

I don't know what SAL 7040 is: don't have a reference to that series.
Can't help wondering if the number's correct.

Pierce and Mulberry, Fla., are in the "Bone Valley" phosphate region
east of Tampa. Pierce is just south of Mulberry on the SAL line to
Boca Grande, the old Charlotte Harbor & Northern. Don't confuse it
with *Fort* Pierce, a much larger town on the FEC. See Fischer, "Boca
Grande: Once a Railroad Town" (privately published, '04), p18.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

The following hoppers appear,
Apr 29
ACL | 87156 | LH | Fertz | Kersting & Fennewald
ACL | 87025 | LH | Fertz | Kersting & Fennewald

Apr 30
ACL | 87156 | EH | Mty | Pierce Fla.
ACL | 87025 | EH | Mty | Pierce Fla.

May 12
SAL | 7040 | EH | Mty | Pierce Fla.
SAL | 8208 | LH | Fertz | Kersting & Fennewald < ACF 70T ?

May 14
SAL | 8208 | EH | Mty | Pierce Fla.

May 21
ACL | 87749 | EH | Mty | Pierce Fla.
ACL | 87790 | LH | Fertz | Kersting & Fennewald

May 22
ACL | 87790 | EH | Mty | Pierce Fla.

May 29
SAL | 30021 | LH | Fertz | Kersting & Fennewald
SAL | 30156 | LH | Fertz | Kersting & Fennewald

Jul 1
ACL | 87906 | EH | Mty | Pierce Fla.

Jul 7
SAL | 8096 | EH | Mty | Pierce Fla.

Sept 26
ACL | 87786 | LH | Fertz | Kersting & Fennewald

Sept 29
ACL | 87786 | EH | Mty | Pierce Fla.

Oct 1
ACL | 87615 | LH | Fertz | Kersting & Fennewald

Oct 2
ACL | 87615 | EH | Mty | Pierce Fla.

Oct 9
ACL | 86768 | LH | Fertz | Kersting & Fennewald

Oct 10
ACL | 86768 | EH | Mty | Mulberry Fla.

Oct 28
ACL | 85404 | EH | Mty | Pierce Fla.

Nov 4
ACL | 87700 | EH | Mty | Mulberry Fla.
ACL | 87806 | LH | Fertz | Kersting & Fennewald

Allen Rueter
St. Louis MO