Re: P2K Mathers cars accuracy

Ray Breyer <rbreyer@...>

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Hillman
One case in point. I impetuosly purchased Walthers, Proto 2000 Series;
Mather 40ft Stock Car, GM&O
Mather 40ft boxcar, C&IM
Mather 40ft Boxcar, C&EI
It was late, I'd had a couple of beers, I liked the way the cars
looked and assumed that PROBABLY (?) the manufacturer had done their
prototype research duty. (Or "close" enough)
Now, I have to do some research, as to how close I'd come to
my "guess" at such accuracy.

Paul,

The GM&O Mathers car is wrong for your date of 1947. The Mathers cars on the
GM&O roster came from the Alton, which was absorbed in 1949. You need the
P2K Alton cars, which are decorated correct.

The C&IM car is completely screwed up. The cars are decorated with yellow
sides and black roofs and ends. The cars should correctly be painted with
orange sides and mineral red roof and ends. The lettering itself is correct.
I'm using them as-is for now, but will eventually try to "fix" the cars, by
repainting the black and attempting to "orange up" the sides with a wash and
lots of weathering.

Ray Breyer
Modeling the Peoria, IL, area circa 1949.