ljack70117@adelphia.net
I was born with nothing and
I have most of it left

On Feb 22, 2007, at 8:32 PM, A. Premo wrote:

"Car knockers" would inspect arriving cars.If they spotted any cars
needing repairs they would mark,"hold","Rip"."Reweigh"Turn"etc.They often
used a check mark to indicate that they had inspected the car.If a car had a
defect it would be removed from a train. Just one more reason for
certain chalk marks.Armand Premo
----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Hendrickson" <rhendrickson@opendoor.com>
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 6:47 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: Chalk marks +

On Feb 22, 2007, at 3:25 PM, Andy Laurent wrote:

I've often seen a typical mark on steam era cars. It is a large "+"
with numbers in 3 or 4 quadrants.

I have speculated that this might have something to do with the
dates that a car was received, spotted, overdue, picked up... but I've
never learned the real translation of that mark.
Andy, several of us have pondered the meaning of these marks in the
past but haven't come up with an explanation. As you say, they were
very common.

Richard Hendrickson

Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums &amp; communities.
Links

2/18/2007 4:35 PM

~-->
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0It09A/bOaOAA/yQLSAA/9MtolB/TM
~->

Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums &amp; communities. Links