"Z" Bar ORER Entries

Guy Wilber

In a message dated 2/23/2007 6:14:56 PM Central Standard Time,
ostresh@... writes:

Maybe you can answer another question: Many of the ORER entries
say "Z bar"; if I remember correctly, I saw these for DS, SS, and
steel cars. Just what are they? Does the term apply just to cars
with Z bar eaves as you discussed above? I assume their importance is
that they affect clearance or capacity?

Larry,

Clearance only, nothing to do with capacity.

The "Z" Bar notation is in reference to cars built utilizing the "Z" bar
side plate. The ARA's drawings covering the details are including within the
Editorial Section of the ORER. I don't know if these are included in the CD
version, but should be within your printed copy (post 1930).

The ARA modified the marking of such cars (effective March 1, 1930).

"On all box or house cars standing more than 12 feet from top of rail to
eaves (upper eaves) two sets of dimensional data shall be stencilled, indicating
height and width.

First: The height and width at eaves (upper eaves). If cars are equipped
with latitudinal running board the height shall be given to top edge of
latitudinal running board and the width shall be given from the outside edge of the
top of latitudinal running board to corresponding point on opposite side.

Second: The extreme width of car and the height at this extreme width.
These measurements shall be taken over attachment projecting to greatest extent
around eaves (top of side ladders, top door fixture, etc.).

Stencilling to be in 2" letters and figures on side of car, in location
shown on drawing."

ORER entries may have included these changes as early as the July 1929 issue
-- I don't know for sure. Perhaps Ian, or another member of the list, could
check.

Kind Regards,

Guy Wilber
West Bend, WI