Re: NMRA book

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>

sc279373 wrote:

I recieved Ted's book via the NMRA,it arrived Thursday.Also arriving
with it was the reprinted Steel book,I doubt I could have got either in
any British book shop(I live in UK).
The thing that is puzzling me is that I don't remember ordering them at
all!!!
Not having had time to do no more than flip through it,Ted's book
look's excellent and has answered one query I've often had i.e how far
east did western road cars get?
There are PE and CGW cars pictured in Harrisburg and Maryland-just the
thing I was after.
Steve,

It depends upon the car type.

1) Individual boxcars, because they could be reloaded with a wide variety of commodities, could be seen anywhere in the US. Indeed, there was a correlation between the percentage of ownership of foreign boxcars on a line with the percentage of the boxcars that the specific boxcar owner owned of the national boxcar fleet. That the CGW owned about 4,000 boxcars (or 0.55% of the national fleet of 720,000 boxcars) meant that about 1 in every 180 boxcars could be owned by the CGW in any part of the country whether it be Harrisburg, California, Maine or Florida.

2) The operating range of hoppers was far more restricted than boxcars because they were generally loaded with only one commodity - coal. Therefore, when unloaded, they generally were returned to the mines empty although, not in all cases, to mines on the home roads.

3) Gondolas fell in somewhere between boxcars and hoppers. The operating range of General Service Flatcars were more like boxcars than hoppers.

Tim Gilbert