Re: NMRA book

Don Burn

Tim Gilbert wrote:

2) The operating range of hoppers was far more restricted than boxcars
because they were generally loaded with only one commodity - coal.
Therefore, when unloaded, they generally were returned to the mines
empty although, not in all cases, to mines on the home roads.
Does anyone have any data on patterns of hoppers usage to deliver coal to New England? Particularily, coal for home heating? This was a common industry, even for small towns. The question is what were the likely road names you would see in such service? Also, I would assume a particualr coal yard would probably be getting their supply from the same supplier, so would see hoppers from the same railroad and not a variety of lines, is this correct?

I'm also curious about home heating oil, which again I would assume would follow similar patterns.

Don Burn