From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of
Don Burn
Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2007 10:01 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] NMRA book

Tim Gilbert wrote:

2) The operating range of hoppers was far more restricted than boxcars
because they were generally loaded with only one commodity - coal.
Therefore, when unloaded, they generally were returned to the mines
empty although, not in all cases, to mines on the home roads.
Does anyone have any data on patterns of hoppers usage to deliver coal
New England? Particularily, coal for home heating? This was a common
industry, even for small towns. The question is what were the likely
road
names you would see in such service? Also, I would assume a particualr
coal yard would probably be getting their supply from the same supplier,
so
would see hoppers from the same railroad and not a variety of lines, is
this correct?

I'm also curious about home heating oil, which again I would assume
would
follow similar patterns.

Don Burn

Yahoo! Groups Links