Re: Car travel (was NMRA Book)

Kurt Laughlin <fleeta@...>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Gilbert" <tgilbert@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2007 10:51 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] NMRA book

1) Individual boxcars, because they could be reloaded with a wide
variety of commodities, could be seen anywhere in the US. Indeed, there
was a correlation between the percentage of ownership of foreign boxcars
on a line with the percentage of the boxcars that the specific boxcar
owner owned of the national boxcar fleet. That the CGW owned about 4,000
boxcars (or 0.55% of the national fleet of 720,000 boxcars) meant that
about 1 in every 180 boxcars could be owned by the CGW in any part of
the country whether it be Harrisburg, California, Maine or Florida.

2) The operating range of hoppers was far more restricted than boxcars
because they were generally loaded with only one commodity - coal.
Therefore, when unloaded, they generally were returned to the mines
empty although, not in all cases, to mines on the home roads.

3) Gondolas fell in somewhere between boxcars and hoppers. The operating
range of General Service Flatcars were more like boxcars than hoppers.