Re: Car Travel

destron@...

While I know that I may get dissenting opinions on this issue
I do not know of any "rule" or policy that would require any
road to move empty common boxes to their home roads. This
created a floating group of "orphans" that anyone could use as
they saw fit.
Not sure how this fits, or how much this was an actual policy, but in the
back of my '53 ORER reprint there's this list of order of preference for
foreign cars to go as close to home as possible, so if you're ACL and have
a PGE car and a WP car and an ACL car available, and you've got a cargo
for Idaho, then you load the PGE car, because this will get it closer to
its home road...

Regards, Frank