Re: Rib side box with 8' doors.

Tim O'Connor

Denny, I don't know of any prewar Milwaukee ribside car rebuilt
with 8' doors. A limited number of the postwar cars were rebuilt
w/ 8' doors (and at least one was converted back to 6' later). The
Western Pacific bought exactly two postwar ribside cars in 1962
and rebuilt them with 9 foot doors for appliance service. (Note
I'm only talking about the 40' cars.) I have not seen any photos
of cars with replacement roofs.

After stating confidently that the HO model 40' long-rib side car
that I held in my hot little hand had 4/4 ends, Ed Hawkins comments-

All of Milwaukee's early rib-side 40' box cars built from 1939 to
1944 had 5/5 Dreadnaught Ends.
Ed is of course correct, and although knowing better, I also cannot
count :-[ . The ends of this wood ribside model boxcar indeed has
5/5 ends, not 4/4!

Now, the same question: Does anyone know whether or not this car
replicates a real prototype?

Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento