From: Brian J Carlson
To: stmfc@...
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 6:30 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Wabash Rebuilt War Emegency Hopper

I recently acquired a Wabash steel-sided WW2 War emergency hopper. I was
surprised the car has a NEW date of 5-59. Apparently the Wabash considered
them new cars for accounting purposes when they were resided. I thought
this practice was no longer allowed after the early 1950's. When did the
Wabash start to replace the sides with steel plate? According to the Model
RR magazine index website, Ed Hawkins did a two part article in the December
2000, and April 2001 issues of RMJ. Did either of these articles discuss the
Wabash cars rebuilt with steel sides? My main quandary is I model August
1957, can the model be renumbered to fit within my era. Thanks for any help?
Brian J Carlson P.E.
Cheektowaga NY