Re: Complaint

Gail & Tom Madden <tgmadden@...>

The local RPA wrote:

What is the easiest way to model fingerprints on the inside of grab
irons?

Claim your trainmen always wore gloves and forget about it.

What size were the knot holes in the decks of USRA flat cars still in
service in the 40s?

There were not holes in the decks, except those made by knails.

What size were the pivot pins on 1920s era coupler knuckles?

A meaningless question. The pivot pins were not "on" the coupler knuckles -
they were a separate part. If you're going to be a useful contributor to
this group you'll have to be more precise.

What was the wall thickness of the piping used in the AB brakes added to
PRR X-29 boxcars in 1948?

Schedule 40 or Schedule 80?

What was the relative strength of Youngstown ends vs Dreadnaught ends vs
Despatch Shop ends vs Pullman PS-1 ends, with complete structural
analysis?

I'll have to look that up. I believe the testing was done by Mighty Joe
Youngstown.

Where did the pigments come from that were used in making the green paint
on EJ&E box cars?

Joliet. Or Elgin.

How old were the pipe fitters who added the AB brakes to that PRR X-29 in
1948?

Very young. That job was given to those who had only learned the first few
letters of the alphabet.

What RRs box cars were used to ship Firestone tires in the 30s? Did they
blow out then too?

Only if they were inflated. But inflation was very low during the
depression, so it wasn't a problem.

What was the temperature of the crushed ices used in SFRD reefers in the
20s? 30s? Where the cars shaken or stirred?

In the 20s it varied - I believe it was a cube function. In 1933 President
Roosevelt devalued the farenheit. From then on ice was able to adjust its
temperature to the needs of the load.

How were the light bulb packed in those GE covered hoppers?

You mean the ones that lit whenever a hatch was lifted?

What railroads box cars had the fuzziest wood siding?

The Santa Fe had a one-of reefer that was kind of fluffy. Otherwise, I can
put you in touch with a fellow who used to be associated with AMB, who might
be able to help you out.

Good to be on a list with you again, Byron!

Tom

(Mike, this is one of the posts you can remove from the archives!)