Re: Question about reefer hatches

Bruce Smith

On Mar 19, 2007, at 8:23 AM, asychis@aol.com wrote:

Over on the reefer madness list there is a discussion on the normal position
of reefer hatches. I was under the impression that reefer ice hatches were
normally closed whether the car was loaded or empty unless it was specifically
carrying a load that needed ventilation only, when the hatches were opened. I
thought I read this on this list, but might be mistaken. Can anyone confirm
the typical or normal practice?
Jerry,

That is correct. About the only time an empty reefer would have an open hatch was if a hobo had opened it and was riding on the stage.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL