Re: ART Reefers From the Amarillo Railroad Museum and MP Historical Society

Bruce Smith

On Mar 19, 2007, at 8:31 AM, asychis@aol.com wrote:

It has come to my attention that there is a concern about the roof colors on
our new reefers. In our advertising, we have mentioned that the reefers are
painted in the "as delivered" scheme. While almost correct, I want to point
out that our reefers have Inco Red roofs rather than aluminum roofs. The
reefers were delivered with aluminum roofs, which changed to Inco red in the
mid-1940s. So, this is a mistake in our advertising and I apologize for it. If a
person prefers to paint their cars with the aluminum roofs, please note that
roof hardware (hatches, latches etc.) were Inco red from the start. Only the
main part of the roof was aluminum and the roofwalk was unpainted steel.
Jerry, Ed, et al.,

Was the running board (aka "roofwalk") galvanized?

I noticed the roof paint was very nicely described in the directions in the link provided by Ed when I read them last night. Time for me to get out the aluminum! <G>.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL