Re: ART Reefers From the Amarillo Railroad Museum and MP Historical Society

Ed Hawkins

On Mar 19, 2007, at 9:14 AM, Bruce Smith wrote:

Jerry, Ed, et al.,

Was the running board (aka "roofwalk") galvanized?

I noticed the roof paint was very nicely described in the directions
in the link provided by Ed when I read them last night. Time for me
to get out the aluminum! <G>.

Regards
Bruce
Bruce,
The running boards of the earliest ART cars with horizontal side seams
were originally either aluminum or unpainted galvanized steel. This is
based on the appearance of the builder's photo of ART 24000 (built
11-39). When cars were repainted and received Inco Red roofs, the
running boards were normally also painted red. Like a lot of running
boards, they likely didn't probably get a lot of attention paid to them
to ensure the paint covered every square inch.

I would like to amplify on Jerry's post about the aluminum roofs. We
know that 1936-built ART cars had aluminum roofs because they are
specified this way in the AC&F bill of materials for 511 cars built at
that time. Presumably 510 cars built by GATC in 1936 were the same.
After locating an original 8x10 print of ART 24000, an interpretation
was made that this car originally had the roof painted aluminum. The
propped-up hatch covers were clearly a dark color, probably Inco Red.
Unfortunately ART didn't take any additional builder's photos of the
various small groups of like cars in series 24000-24449 as they were
built from 1940 to 1945.

We have not found any documentation that specifies precisely when ART
began to paint their roofs of steel reefers Inco Red. It has been
speculated that the change may have occurred during World War II due to
aluminum pigment demand for war equipment. I found documentation that
new ART reefers built in 1947 by Pullman-Standard received Inco Red
roofs, but it is not known (from 1940 to 1947) when the roof color was
changed. All we have to go by are in-service photos, and there's a
pretty slim selection taken during the 1940s. Anyone having more
information about ART's roof color during the 1940s is encouraged to
share it.

The lettering scheme applied to the models offered by the Amarillo RR
Museum was used until 1948, when a Wabash flag was added to one side of
the car and a MP "buzzsaw" emblem on the other side (above the
reporting marks). Cars lettered this way could have been found through
at least the early 1950s, and these cars would have most likely had
Inco Red roofs.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins