Re: Question about reefer hatches

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Russ Strodtz wrote:
Think that an attempt is being made to assign a pattern to what was actually a random event. This is similar to the "open box car door" issue . . . From a time and labor point of view there is no way
anyone could get involved with ice hatches or car doors.
Sure, and I've never quarreled with the assertion that SOME cars must have had their open hatches (for vent service when loaded) left open. But I do assert that this was neither routine nor desired nor common. And I still shake my head at the railfan who sees a photo of a whole train of reefers with hatches up and says, "Yeah, empties."

Publishers of books on railroad history