Re: Ice Reefer Hatches

Barry Roth

The "banana dock" was a fixture on the southern San Francisco waterfront. I remember seeing PFE reefers there marked "for banana loading only" -- but being young and carefree as well as cameraless I didn't take any notes at the time.

Barry Roth

Anthony Thompson <thompson@signaturepress.com> wrote:
Bill Williams wrote:
Does this mean that, at least in the '60's, banana ships came to
Seattle for eastward loading? I had always thought that bananas came
through Gulf Coast ports and went all over vis I.C. and G.M.& O..
Seattle was a significant banana port; so were San Francisco and
Los Angeles on the west coast. They also came in for a time at
Philadelphia.

.

TV dinner still cooling?