Going Bananas ...

Jim Betz

My understanding is that the majority of the bananas came in thru
East Coast and Gulf ports - originally - and then that there were
changes in shipping and in the overall demand (due as much to population
as anything else) and so some of the bananas started to be shipped
to West Coast ports via the Panama Canal. As population grew in the
West more and more of the supply of bananas to the West coast came
to the West Coast via the canal. Then, later on, additional sources of
bananas started to be used that were shipped to the U.S. from Pacific
ports. With modern refridgeration bananas and other perishables can
be shipped by almost any route because they are loaded into containers
that each have their own temperature control mechanisms.
Enough general overview - I know that there were cars such as the
W.I.F. cars that at least advertised bananas - but those cars were
box cars. Were bananas shipped without refridgeration in the
STMFC era?
- Jim in San Jose