Re: Reefer Hatches (Reefers Going To The Wesy Coast)

Chet French <cfrench@...>

W T Rawleigh made health products such as salves, ointments, and
liniments; and food products which included flavorings, extracts,
spices, and seasonings which, I believe, were sold by door-to-door
salesmen. It was an international company with the home office in
Freeport, IL. So much of the outbound traffic was lcl, that a roller
type conveyor was built from the Rawleigh factory into the IC freight
house at Freeport.

Chet French
Dixon, IL

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Chaparro" <thecitrusbelt@...>
wrote:

Chet- What were the W T Rawleigh products going to the west coast?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro
Mission Viejo/Hemet, CA

When I went to work in 1960 on the IC, I always observed what was
going on at the Chicago Produce Terminal (CPT) as our train
passed
by. There was always several piles of body ice alongside cars,
and
broken cases and pallets lying on the ground next to open cars.
Don't
know if they were picked up and disposed of, or thrown back into
the
cars after they was unloaded. The IC (and ATSF) switchmen who
worked
the CPT jobs never had to go into the produce department at their
local grocery stores. Mty PFE's were used at Freeport, IL for
years,
for loading W T Rawleigh products going to the west coast. The
carmen inspected the mty's to find the cleanest and driest cars
for
this loading.

Chet French
Dixon, IL