Re: heating reefers in freezing weather

ljack70117@...

All the heaters I inspected did not have stacks. The top of the heater had a round ring about 3 or 4 inches round and about 3 or 4 inches high. Heaters did not burn with a fire. They used charcoal and glowed like a Bar-B-Que.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
Boca Raton FL
ljack70117@adelphia.net
I was born with nothing and
I have most of it left

On Mar 22, 2007, at 11:38 AM, ed_mines wrote:

Did reefer heaters have a chimney which extended above the roof of the
car?

I can remember one picture which shows smoke pipes with rain hats
extending above a reefer's hatches.

Did these heaters make much soot visible from the outside? When I was a
kid (1950s) they used smudge pots to mark road construction. They were
black as could be.

Ed

Yahoo! Groups Links