Re: SLRX Car Lading

Jim Williams <wwww5960@...>

Hi all.....Beware of the"purple" decals in the Sunshine kit. The stripe ran on me when I used a decal set. I now have a heavily weathered reefer....best Jim Williams

Brian Leppert <b.leppert@att.net> wrote: Richard Hendrickson wrote:

so in the '40s and '50s
they went to white sides and, in the 1950s, small winged-oval SLRX
heralds above the reporting marks.
I have a Sunshine kit for one of these cars, and my focus is 1949, and had
thought I could use the small herald, so just checked the kit's "Prototype
Data Sheet".

It says the 36" wide herald came about in the late 1930s, and was increased
to 5 1/2 feet wide in late 1947. Also, a maroon stripe was added near the
bottom of the sides at that time. Included in the data sheet are photos of
SLRX 3180 with small herald, May 1947, and SLRX 6008 and 3359, both with
large heralds, Sept. 1948.

I guess the small herald is OK for 1949, if I ever build that kit...

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.