Re: HO-Trucks on PSC Frameless Tankcar Kit?

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 24, 2007, at 7:55 PM, Dean Payne wrote:

I would like to model the tank car with arch bar trucks. Richard's
article recommends On-Track 5304 arch bars, but I just got a bunch of
Tahoe arch bars, which were, of course, not available at the time of
the article. The width of the side frames is less than that of some
other trucks, and the detail is very fine, including the brake shoes
and brake beams. This is much more visible on these tank cars, plus,
my trucks came with narrow tread wheels, also visible. However, I
think they are 5' 6" wheelbase, which goes against the recommended 5'
wheelbase. I'm not sure whether the narrower width of the truck
would help mitigate the increased wheelbase or not. Are the On-Trak
trucks still the arch bar of choice?
I'm an enthusiastic admirer of the Tahoe Model Works arch bar trucks,
but the arch bars applied to the prototype cars when new were 5'
wheelbase with a different side frame configuration, so the On-Trak
trucks are a better representation (if they're still available).

Richard Hendrickson