Re: Heinz Vinegar Cars.

Tim O'Connor

I would think vinegar is made wherever grapes or apples are abundant.
I would like to know more about vinegar production -- what raw materials
were used, how they were received, and where the tank cars of vinegar
went. Vinegar is a huge commodity, but I suspect most markets must have
been within trucking distance of production facilities. Or perhaps most
vinegar was simply shipped in ordinary tank cars, or bottled and sent
in box cars? (There are modern day food processors in my area that get
freight car loads of oil, vinegar, and starches for production of salad
dressings, mayonaisse, etc.)

Tim O'Connor

Richard writes:

As of 1950, Heinz rostered 24 vinegar tank cars, not a large fleet but one
that traveled widely (there are photos of them in west coast locations like
Los Angeles and Oakland), since carload lots of vinegar were delivered to
large food processors in many parts of the country. Cars of similar design were
also operated by other food companies, e.g. Standard Brands.

Allen Cain has summarized the available models. The AHM plastic model was
lame ­ a clumsy stand-in at best.
Richard Hendrickson

I have a Stan Townsend photo of a vinegar car in Salem, OR (no the SP side
of town) dated July 1971. Old and weary but a nice example of this car class
albeit beyond the scope of this list.

Greg Martin