Re: Heinz Vinegar Cars.

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Peter J. McClosky wrote:
Los Angeles had a Heinz plant just north (RR West) of Taylor yard, on the Coast line.

The junction of the 2 and 5 freeways is just about at the location of the plant. When I left Los Angeles (in 2005) You could still see some of the track in the ground in the "Vandy Camp" (sp?) site, as you got on the 2 westbound, from San Fernando road.
That would be Van De Camp, which had a huge bakery there, as well as a restaurant on San Fernando Road, delightfully close to the SP main. I remember the Heinz building, which looked more like a warehouse to me than a manufacturing facility. Does anyone know more?

Publishers of books on railroad history