From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
Anthony Thompson
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2007 9:55 AM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Heinz Vinegar Cars.

Peter J. McClosky wrote:
Los Angeles had a Heinz plant just north (RR West) of Taylor yard, on
the Coast line.

The junction of the 2 and 5 freeways is just about at the location of
the plant. When I left Los Angeles (in 2005) You could still see some
of the track in the ground in the "Vandy Camp" (sp?) site, as you got
on the 2 westbound, from San Fernando road.
That would be Van De Camp, which had a huge bakery there, as
well as a restaurant on San Fernando Road, delightfully close to the SP
main. I remember the Heinz building, which looked more like a
warehouse to me than a manufacturing facility. Does anyone know more?

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturep
<mailto:thompson%40signaturepress.com> ress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history