From: Ed Hawkins
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 7:39 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Does that say 9-54?

On Apr 4, 2007, at 8:35 PM, Schuyler Larrabee wrote:

> That's what I thought. I recalled that Atlas' choice of corner posts
> was disappointing to us steam
> era types. Nuts.
>
> Is your photo dated?
> SGL

Schuyler,
A "disappointing" aspect of the Atlas PS-2 model is the lack of a
complete set of outlet gates. Only the outboard gate supports are
included on the model, and the inboard half is left to the imagination
(much like the bolsters and underframe are missing on the Atlas 70-ton
ballast car). Atlas doesn't seem to concern themselves much with the
underneath part of their freight car models.

Regarding your original question, Western Maryland typically painted
the top portion of their cars yellow when they were equipped with
roller bearing trucks. The only photo from the 5501-5550 series I have
seen was published on page 39 of the WM Color Guide book. However, it
is a 1982 photo. The P-S builder's photo from this series has been an
elusive one to find.

The Kadee PS-2 model would make an accurate representation of the WM
prototype cars. Chances are that Kadee hasn't produced the WM car due
to CSX licensing requirements. The B&OHS (licensed by CSX) offered B&O
PS-2 models produced by Kadee. Perhaps the WMRyHS could follow suit and
contract with Kadee for an accurate WM PS-2 model.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins