Re: preparation of styrene kits for painting

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

My current understanding is that virtually all, if not all of the "primer" paints available to us as modelers are nothing more than just another color or formulation of ordinary paint. However, I note that some, most, or all (??) listers are still reporting that they are still applying a "primer" coat prior to any "finishing" coats of paint. Now, I can understand why on occasion I might like to apply a nice gray coat of primer- 1) to better enable a transition to a lighter color finish coat without paint buildup; or 2) to make it easier to physically handle a model prior to any finish coating, but-- what else?

Although I have not looked lately, Scalecoat has specifically noted that with the use of their paints, no primer is necessary- and I have followed their advice in this regard successfully for some time.

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento