From: ed_mines
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 2:48 PM
Subject: [STMFC] primer

Many model railroad paints reefer yellow, caboose red.....) had poor
hiding power on black polystyrene (the black showed through and made
the color appear much darker). A layer of grey floquil primer allowed a
much thinner coating of problem colors to be applied.

I recall the white Accupaint had surprising hiding power and dried very
quickly, allowing thin layers of caboose red and Conrail blue to be
sprayed with very little time in between.

I used to strip and repaint factory painted cars and found silver paint
as primer beneath some factory painted models (MDC?). I used this on
occasion as primer.

Ed