Re: T&NO triple offset-side hopper car shipments

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

The triple offset side T&NO hopper cars I saw were loaded with
limestone/dolomite aggregate at Beckmann, Texas on the old SA&AP branch
to Kerrville. The quarry was called McDonough Brothers (sp?) during
the steam era. The aggregate was NOT used for cement, it was
construction aggregate for the Houston area - for roads and building
foundations. Some may also have been used for ballast on the railroad
during the 1940's. Loads went over the GH&SA from San Antonio to
Houston (I do not know where in Houston it was unloaded).
Thanks for the great info! Just what I needed, and it fits with the approximate size of the rock being loaded into cars.

Publishers of books on railroad history