Re: Resin prepping

Walter M. Clark

Paul, and everyone,

It may be (probably is) a case of God takes care of fools but when I
started building resin kits about a dozen years ago I never even
thought about washing them before assembly. While I would like to
change some of the lettering on those first few, courtesy of what I've
learned here, none of the parts have even started to look or feel a
little loose. The one thing I did different to anything else I've
seen here was mix a little five minute epoxy to anchor the running
boards. My thumb-fingered lack of coordination coupled with inherited
essential tremor makes it impossible for me to get those things to
hold still while I apply that tiniest bit of ACC.

Walter M. Clark
Time stopped in November 1941
Riverside, California

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, cobrapsl@... wrote:

Bruce,

I totally agree with you that there is no need to spend money on
"resin prep" voodoo mixtures. I personally like something a little
stronger than dish detergent for the initial pre-assemble "scrub", but
it will certainly work. If using dish detergent, I caution those
following this tread that it needs to be one of the ones with no added
oils like original Dawn. Dawn is what I use as the final wash prior to
painting.

Bruce, I did not mean to be critical of yours and Jim's approach,
just I think it is best to teach folks how to drive with both hands on
the steering wheel--they will find what is comfortable to them soon
enough!

Paul Lyons
Laguna NIguel, CA